Thursday, March 25, 2010

Teeth for treasures!

Before I start talking about teeth, I need to first digress and gush a little over my brother, Nathan.

Nathan is such an incredible person who holds a special place in our family. He is so much more than a brother, brother-in-law, and uncle. He is another appendage to the Esplin household. We have been fortunate enough to selfishly hoard him all to ourselves since we moved back six years ago and I have to tell you, it has been pure bliss. Not only is this guy totally hilarious and fun to the core, but he has a heart of gold and would do just about anything for family. And believe me, he has! This guy has been a nanny to our children so that Ted and I could go to New York, he has taken on the role of "Mr. Mom" numerous times, especially when Ted has been out of town and I have been deathly ill with morning sickness, I have seen him carry multiple children simultaneously up the stairs and then proceed to tuck them into bed, I have watched him clean up major throw-up when Parker got the stomach flu so that I could attend to my son, and my all time favorite is that he has gone so far as to strap on a Baby Bjorn and do jobs such as vacuuming and ironing table cloths while my baby was screaming in his ears, so that I would be ready for a baby blessing.

Not only has he loved and served us over the years, but he has also been around for many of the significant moments in life. He has been "Grandpa" for the girls' "Grandparents Day" several years running, he has been at our home during events such as Easter, Christmas Morning, April Fool's Day...he has even shared his own birthday with us a time or two. Needless, to say, we all adore him and unofficially consider him an Esplino!

Well, over the years, this handsome guy has met LOTS of great girls, but when Ashley came along, we all saw something different. Within a short period of time, we all had a hunch that THIS great girl was going to be THE ONE. As much as I saw this coming, I still turned to mush when I got word that he had officially proposed. And even though our family will somehow have to learn how to share him, we couldn't be more thrilled!!


Now that wedding plans are underway, my girls have been so eager to feel apart of this festive occasion. A few weekends back, I found my girls huddled around the kitchen computer jotting down all kinds of information. When I got a closer view, I realized they were looking at Nathan & Ashley's wedding registry. The older girls had a budget in mind and they were ready to do some serious shopping. Poor Katelyn was feeling a little helpless since she has very little cash in her possession. Somewhere along the line, she realized that she was getting close to losing a tooth and decided that she would put her tooth fairy money towards a wedding present.

Here is a picture after she lost her first top tooth.



In spite of Katelyn's new windfall, we discovered a few days later that Katelyn was now really twisting and tugging on the other top tooth to try and get a little more money to work with for the wedding present. I think it is safe to say that there are few people in the world who would be willing to give up their teeth to buy someone a gift, but this little girl did not want to disappoint and she was bound and determined to get some more money before that wedding present. I have to say, I am gonna miss this snaggle-tooth look!


Man oh man, she was so excited to hit Target and personally operate the computer to print off the wedding registry. Especially since I am always forbidding it when we are in the Customer Service line. She felt so grown up making a purchase with her own money.


Her objective was to get the biggest bang for the buck, so she went for a laundry basket because it was within her financial reach and it was BIG. I love how kids always think bigger has always gotta be better! So cute!

Here she is with her big purchase:


Katelyn can hardly wait for the big day to approach! As you can see, this purchase brings a big toothless smile to her face!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails